Chances are many of your employees’ New Year’s resolutions include exercising more and eating healthier. Motivation that’s strong in January, though, often dwindles by mid-February. And that’s when many fall off the so-called ”fitness cliff.” Here are three ways you can encourage workplace wellness.
Help your employees stay on track this year by:
1. Sharing health and wellness tips
Emailing and posting healthy eating or fitness information around the workplace are great ways to keep good health top of mind.
- Post signs with the benefits of climbing stairs vs. riding the elevator near the elevator banks and stairwells.
- Provide calorie counts on cafeteria menus or near food stations.
- Create a weekly promotion like “Wellness Wednesdays” and email healthy recipes or key health information to your staff.
2. Starting or revitalizing a wellness committee
Ask for help from employees who are passionate and knowledgeable about healthy living then support their efforts with involvement of a senior leader and recognition for their work. And if you have a committee, encourage members to poll employees about what wellness initiatives did and didn’t work in 2017.
Need help putting the team together? Download our list of 7 steps on how to start a wellness committee.
3. Setting up a workplace wellness challenge
Fitness or healthy eating challenges don’t need to be complicated.
- Stairwell challenge: Using a tracking card, wearable tracker or app, participants log their daily stair climbs. Add posters to stairwells with encouraging statements and fitness facts. Have employees tally up after a month, then recognize and reward the winner(s).
- Five-a-day challenge: Challenge employees to eat five servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Encourage them to share easy and delicious ways to get their daily dose.
Need more inspiration? The U.S. Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion has more ideas for different wellness challenges.
More health and wellness information is available to learn and share here on connecticare.com.
1 Inc.com. 6 Ways to Improve Employee Wellness. 5/23/16. Accessed 1/2/18.